Thursday, September 10, 2015

Story

We built our home in the pages of a storybook
In a forest on an island, somewhere no one ever looks
They will say we're crazy when they see all of the time we took
I say we're being careful, 'cause you stole my heart and I'm a crook

You were funny and bright, you got caught in my eyes
I was thoughtful and shy, you got stuck in my mind
It took no genius to know we had time
Now we're spinning a story with every rhyme

Too young, too dumb, too soon for love
I hear it when they look at us
But we are wise, and we have sung
A song that's only now begun

Now I'm flipping through the fairytale and wondering how it ends
But the words are all blurred so I can't read ahead
Tattooing on the pages all the names of my friends
Like the marks they've made on me as I keep spinning my thread

You have a list, but I have a file
The memories we've got from such a long while
With every glance, every unknowing smile
I've carried them with me for miles and miles

Watching the sun dance in your eyes
My pity to anyone who wonders why
I fell so hard, but hold so tight
To the boy who taught me how to fly

And I still remember the woods we went through
Back when the stars sparkled and I thought of you
I didn't put it together, and I'm not sure you knew
But the path we were weaving was a path made for two

You were youthful and wise, you got caught in my eyes
I was quiet and shy, you dared to see another side
It took no genius to know we had time
Now we're spinning a story with every rhyme

No comments:

Post a Comment