Wednesday, August 9, 2017

dream

If I could have it my way
If I had a dream of my own
I would have been born in 1903
I would marry young, at nineteen, to a man by the name of Joseph 
We would both be well-educated and self-supporting 
After a few years, we would run an orphanage
And take in all the kids who needed our help
We would always have enough money for them
And, selfish, I know, enough money for me to have fancy clothes every now and then
Maybe a good pair of shoes
We would live in a house attached to the orphanage 
Both of which would be beautiful houses 
Surrounded by flowers that didn't die, and we'd have a big garden
He would never be sad, he would be able to pursue all his dreams
I would be a decently-famous poet
I would paint on the weekends, and we'd go have picnics
Rebekah says we'd hit the Great Depression, but honestly... 
I feel like a material depression wouldn't be as bad
Joseph would keep his job
I would make a little money off my poems
The kids would always have enough to eat
He would go to war, but not for too long
And he wouldn't get hurt at all
Our firstborn would be named Isaac
Maybe we would end up with an Arti or a Rose
And we'd always make it
Our kids from the orphanage would grow up, but never forget us
I'd get ice cream with the girls and send them new dresses
We'd visit our boys and meet their wives
I would die rather young, but my life would have been full
And I never would have had doubts about my purpose
And Heaven would welcome me and I would fall into Jesus' arms



But I do not have that
I am a perfectionist in a messed-up head
I tear myself apart
Last week, I avoided processing things, watched my best friend get in a car wreck, saw my brother almost lose his way, lost my mind, got yelled at, and moved him into college
And of all the things I could have expected 
Nothing went remotely close to that
I keep getting nightmares
And sleep paralysis
I barely slept last night 
With my spare time I panicked over driving
Buying a car
Finding a college
Finding money 
Finding a job
Finding a purpose 
Finding my mind
I woke up this morning and couldn't move
Literally 
I slipped into the chasm of hopelessness
I got it worse than I have in a while
I feel as though I'm not prepared
And I don't even know what I'm not prepared for, because I can't see myself growing up
I can't see myself being a human 
I can't see myself living
After years of thanking God that He chose me to exist
This morning I wanted to disappear
I wanted to never have been 
There's no way out
I wouldn't say that I'm not content with my life
It just so often feels like a nightmare

But I've gotten better
He calls me for the first time
I pick up and start crying
Laughing at his jokes with tears in my eyes
I worked out on Monday
And I bought a some dresses with money I don't have 
I plan my birthday party
I write a song
And maybe this blog post will help me process what the heck is going on
I'm just trying to make it
I'm just trying my best

2 comments: