Sunday, January 25, 2015

Remember.

With every hour of sleep I lose
I'm losing another loved one too 
My mind knows me, and it is cruel
And it kind of hurts that this is nothing new
My dreams like to bring me to Neverland
I'm not as scared there, but sometimes I am
Make fun of my mind and my fears with no plans
It's easy to mock what you can't understand
Sometimes feelings make you think
And sometimes darkness helps you see
But arrows find their marks on me
So I'm just trying not to freeze
I had a dream the other night
That reflects my current life
I woke up from the deadly fright
Hoping you were still alive
My legs ran not to race
For I was being chased
Afraid for my life,
I found hope when I saw your face
I screamed out as I ran
And you begged to understand
Someone still behind me,
I reached out for your hand
You stepped in front of me
The danger you faced
That's when I realized
My biggest mistake
No, no, no
Let me take those steps back
Get away from him
Or I'll die just like that
I should've run somewhere else
Kept him safe, turned in myself
A regret that could never be mended
And that, my friend, is where the dream ended
You never knew
Well, how could you?
When I saw you that morning
You had no clue
(But I was relieved, and you were okay)
I feel quite like the sky
For I cannot decide
What colors to show,
And if I should cry
I'm bursting with blue
The joys aren't few
Then I'll turn different shades
With different hues
I'm the poem that was never
Put onto this blog
I'm the lyrics that never
Made it in a song
Is time my ally
Or not so much?
Because it's too long
Yet I don't have enough
Do you remember
When we were young?
And we could hide under the bed
When we lost track of the sun?
Standing on a chair
Was our way of being tall
And tumbling down the stairs
Was the worst way we could fall
Now that we are older
It's not like that at all
But a lot of things are better
I put them on the walls
I'm getting how much I need You
A little more each day
You're more than just a life vest
You are my only Way
You pull me from the rapids
Right before I drown
And give me these friendships
When I'm calling out
When I was a little girl
I wished to write You a note
And release it into the wind
To thank You for what I own
I'm finding the urge again
To give You more than a voice
Remind me You can hear me
And that I'm not just noise
It's funny how this works
Because I've lost so much
But I have so much more
And You're the One I love
I examine the lives
Of the little ones I teach
And their innocence and joy
Is really teaching me
Adjectives, you're good at those
And when you describe how I feel, you know
The words you used, they told me so
Because I cracked them a couple months ago
Broken, worthless, and whatever
Well, you couldn't have said it better
But I learn when we are together
So I'll close my eyes now and remember

6 comments:

  1. This. Is. Perfect. You are an incredible poet Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously so amazing, you have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph. :) Haha, I guess I don't. x)

      Delete
  3. This is possibly the wisest and most indescribably fantastic poem you're written.
    Wow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Wow, thanks! Haha, it just sorta happened. xD

      Delete