Thursday, June 2, 2016

Trail Mix

Things are changing
I see it in their eyes, caught it in her smile
It's like living a dream
And knowing I'll wake up in a little while
Dad calls during school hours
Just to check up on me when he's away
The days are rough at his work
That, and he wants to know I'm okay
Rebekah opens the door to my room
Interrupting my midnight puppet show with my brothers
She puts her pillow and blanket on the floor
And we all tell jokes, one after another

Dad's been telling us he loves us more than he used to do
Because everything goes away, I guess
Isaac brings me a bowl of cereal
When it takes me too long to get out of bed
Ethan takes walks by himself
Just to give him time to think
Rebekah hugs me out of nowhere
'Cause she'll be gone before I can blink
Everything goes away

Isaac slid a note underneath my door
When I was sobbing in my room on Sunday
He made me a bowl of trail mix
Maybe it's 'cause he's afraid I'll go away

I watch her fade
But there's nothing I can say
I'm not close enough,
I'm not close enough
It's like everyone knows the plot twist to my story
And their lips are sealed, but they look at me
Knowing my fate, saying something with their eyes
Something I always fail to read
One boy's dreams 
And another boy's theories
But theories aren't enough
So they all sound like me
Just barely reaching the surface
I was almost something
Think I almost had it
But everything is changing
I take the trash out in the rain
Everything will go away

No comments:

Post a Comment