Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Impaired

Can you keep a secret?
Did you ever know?
That things aren't as big
As they always seem to be?
And yet, they're so much bigger --

Because looking out the window of the plane
Makes the buildings look like bubbles
In the palm of my hand
But I'm the one who's floating away

I wonder how much is going on in the lives
Of the people in just one neighborhood 
How many students have depression 
How many kids are giving each other trust issues
Because it all looks so small from here
Makes it easier for me to tell myself I'm leaving it behind
"Make up your mind."

I always thought I wanted to be as tall as a skyscraper 
So that people could see what it's like in my mind
But from here, skyscrapers are nothing

So maybe I want to be an airplane
So I can be free and see things clearly 
But from the ground, airplanes are nothing 

I will always be nothing from most points of view
For I am just a Wendy bird, carrying along
On the ground, then in the sky
Making sense to no one but herself
And hardly even

I always thought I wanted to be as tall as a skyscraper
So that people could see what it's like in my mind
But now I try to show my mind with words on a page
But from in here, words are nothing


So maybe we have to look with more than just our eyes

1 comment: