Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Sentimental, Semi-mental

Last year you ran with open arms
Last year time was frozen hard
And we made every moment ours
But now you watch with broken hearts
Last year you were flying free
Living life as meant to be
Now it seems we've cut too deep
Now you cry and run to me
What if I'd told you that life was so hard?
What if I'd told you he'd go breaking your heart?
What if I'd asked you not to wish on a star?
Would you have kept every love-forsaken part?

If there was a line, I may have crossed it
If I had a mind, I may have lost it
If my head is a jail, I may be the hostage
But here when I write, I'm a little too honest
You entered the scene just in time
To watch me crumble into oblivion
So when you reached for my hand
I may have kept slipping;
I may be a lost cause.

'Cause every shattered-hearted whisper
That screams, "They'll all forget me,"
Leaves me clutching my pillow at night
Crying, "I can't help you if you won't let me."
People ask me all the time what I'd say 
People ask me what I'd do 
But I'm too busy already thinking up questions 
That no one has the answers to

So when I look back through the past couple years
I think of things I could've said to save you from tears
Maybe they were the things you did not want to hear
And a litte girl trying to be an optimist wouldn't speak them so clear
Would you have me had warned you?
Because I already knew
If you were in my shoes
What would you do?
I take it too hard
I take it to heart
That the same voice I'm using
Couldn't stop broken hearts
And the voices I hear
Seem so far out of reach
And they never learn
'Cause I never teach
Which I've heard I'm not responsible for
But if you saw your friends all walk through a door
That led to a million-foot drop or more
Don't tell me that your feet would stay on the floor

Please don't ask me if this is what I'd wanted 
Because I'll choke on my breath
I don't know if I'd say yes.
There's so much behind us that's nailed to my heels
Meanwhile another boy chases what he feels
And she's always asking when it will be real
But he never keeps what he's destined to steal

Then there's her, broken, beautiful, I can't meet her eyes
And there's him, never lacking another diguise
And I can't get either one of them out of my mind
I can't get them out of my mind
And she's hurting from people that should've taught her to love
Another girl is at stake, though she's never thought of
The only hope I get anymore comes from above
And it's all that I need, but it hurts just too much

I guess that it's too much to let it all go
I guess that it's too much to let it all show
I chew on this trust, but I never swallow
I guess that it's too much to let it all go.
Point this in a direction, make it a silent auction 
The fault that no one wants is treated like a toxin
We step around it, jump over it, worry out of caution
But I've gotta have someone to blame, and I'm my only option.

3 comments: