Wednesday, August 19, 2015

There's a World in Here

This window is so big
It swallows one of the walls
The other three drip with memories
And do their best to contain me

But they give me the space
To do all that I'd like
I can sing, and I can breathe
I can laugh and sketch and scream

Meanwhile my window watches
As I stare into the sunset
Or focus my eyes into the night sky
As soon as I turn out the light

These four walls get the front
They see me dance with endless joy
Giggling on the phone, telling friends they're not alone
And singing loud when there's nobody home

They hear me rant to God
All my sobbing at night
Telling people I'm there, sending up all my prayers
Crying to God how nobody else cares

When I'm still awake at two
And sit right up in bed
And I'm hugging my sides, and drying my eyes
Blindly talking to people who won't leave my mind

When I spin with an invisible partner
When I pretend to vomit at my writing
When there's paint on my hands, or they don't understand
Rereading letters or peeling new stamps

Whatever has happened
And whatever will
These are my walls, and they get it all
They keep standing when I rise and fall

No comments:

Post a Comment