Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Left and Right

There are a lot of things I strive to be
A lot of me's I'd die to see
A lot of air I'd kill to breathe
A kind of blood I wish I'd bleed
I wanna be brave when the clouds roll in
When the waves get high and I cannot swim
Wanna stand my own ground and stick up my chin
Wanna tell myself that I know I'll win
And I wanna be strong enough to move along
When my emotions flood in and my sanity's gone
And the sun goes down and my mind gets lost
When my heart is dry and my pillow's
Not
Can I be bold enough to tell you the truth?
That I don't do as well as you say I do?
Because the waves crash in and I fall on through
And it tears me up 'cause you never knew
You know, the stars come out
But they don't give enough light
You're supposed to close your doors
And just stay inside
But there's a different kind
Who tries to use their eyes
When it's clearly dark enough for the tree in front of you to be a surprise
You stepped out of the door and walked into the night
Where the darkness could swallow your brightest of lights
And you're doing alright
Yeah, you say that you're fine
Till the footsteps you hear are coming up from behind
So you run and you climb
And you're not even sure why
Because you've decided before that you don't want your life
But you can't let them take you
It just isn't right
So you try and you hide
'Cause it isn't your time
And you're not willing to die
If someone else holds the knife
But now the sound's gone out in your left ear
And you're freaking out 'cause the monster's near
And your right side's covered
But your left is certainly not
And your lungs are still bleeding
From the other battles you fought
But those were on the inside
You can't take the outside too
'Cause while you were trying to save him
There was no one saving you
This is not in your control
So suddenly you're not ready to die
And the monster's coming close
So suddenly you're willing to try
But it's too late, you call liar, liar
And your feet get caught up in barbed wire
Your knees on the ground and it's too late to choose
Your feet in your blood and you finally lose
But wait
It takes a second just to make
Because the light is far too bright and now you have to look away
You hear the dying of the beast and you're sure you're the next to be slain
But no, he looks the other way and asks you why you didn't pray
And now you don't know what to say, but now you know that you want him to stay
Because there's grace inside his face even though you lost the race
And even though you walk away from him so many times a day
So he wraps your feet in bandages and asks why you had to try on your own
But it's just to prove a point because you know he already knows
He picks you up from off the ground and whispers to you that you're never alone
And you can't help but cry in His arms because He finally brings you home

I'm failing ever eternally
Masking, slowly, everything
He came down and rescued me
He came down and died so He could see
Me
With Him eventually
So that forever I could breathe

And it's hard to believe,
Sometimes, all the perfect things
That have been given to me
Here I am, undeserving
Concerning
Others about the things that hurt me
But surely
I don't wanna be a burden, so mercy
Mercy on me
He gave me you and you were mercy to me
Coming in and rescuing me
From my pit that I dug for me six feet deep
And in my sleep
I repeat the things you've said to me
Tell me I haven't disappointed you,
And it makes me wanna weep
Because I never saw it coming
And I never saw you come
You said you'd chase me across the world
Well good, 'cause I'm afraid I might run
Such terribly perfect things are hard for me to accept
But I love you to death
So I'll try my best

3 comments: