Monday, May 16, 2016

Sound Asleep

You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take
But save one hundred percent of the hearts you don't break
I think we're at the point where I don't have to be fake
Hope's hard to hold onto, but even harder to make
Do I see a light at the end of this tunnel?
Yes, of course, I always do
But I feel the smart of what I'll lose on the way
Or, maybe it's rather best to say "who"
I don't wanna hurt anyone, but they walk away regardless
So I keep moving forward and try not to look heartless
People say I don't care, but they don't know the truth
I care so much you might shed a tear if you knew
But in order to survive, I have to walk away sometimes
Couldn't look you in the eye, had to tell you I was fine
But I'll never be called "brave" for that, and why?
Because "brave" is a funny word that we have misused over time
They say brave is when you conquer demons, where everybody knows
While that's true, brave is also knowing when you must let go
And I'm trying not to hear a million cries around me
Because I can't be your superhero, I have fear enough to drown me
So when something's wrong, and she won't say a word all night
I turn, force a smile, and tell myself that I'm alright
You can't fix everyone, all you can do is try
I only need two hands to hold my chin up high
Last night I had a dream where blood was coming from my ears
I was in trouble, but the irony is that no one else could hear
Sometimes I list the people that I'm positive still love me
Because if I live in my head too long, the hurt will just become me
I don't like telling people that I still worry about her
Because they look at me like maybe they must have misheard
"Why are you holding on to this, why can't you let go?"
"You think that I want this, you think I even know?"
Oh well.
I'm on my eight thousand, nine hundred, thirty-first sheep
The worst part is waiting to actually fall asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment