Friday, July 10, 2015

Change.

"Wow," they say, "you're growing up,
"Your eyes are strange, your face is changing."
Guess you could say I'm not the same
They keep saying, they keep saying
Here's a shade of many years
My hair is kept, my clothes are clean
I speak with intelligence
I'm not a child, I don't think
Now people from my younger years
See me passing time to time
Sometimes they avoid my glance
Sometimes they look me in the eye
They might greet me with a word
Or break into a smile
They seem like they're about to cry
Every once in a while
Sometimes they never say a word
And stay away a couple feet
That's when I pretend not to note
That they're staring at me
"Please don't tell me that I've changed,
"Believe me now, I know.
"If I've dealt with chapters full of pain,
"That would mean I've grown."
But I look at them and we both understand
Who I used to be's no longer who I am
How long will I be in this familiar stance?
I watch them observe the bruises on my hands

Well, you never know it's over till it's gone
And you never know there's hurt till it carries on
And they never know you're right till you prove them wrong
So you've gotta grow up and take a long shot
See, where's your little girl that earns tough boys' respect?
And where's the one with the soccer ball?
Wearing basketball shorts and her rugged hair down
Swinging or standing up tall
I guess she should've fallen off the face of your earth
Never thought you'd see her around
Maybe you fooled yourself into thinking she was never gonna change
As soon as you left her town

It doesn't matter.
I'm out of state now watching Florida blow through my sister's hair
And she's collecting seashells on the beach
And every time I flash back, you're always there
I'm still checking everyone's blogs
Every hour I'm away
'Cause there's a beating thing inside that cares too much
So I'm making sure that my girls are okay
The palm trees sway back and forth
And there's salt in the cool, cloudy air
There's a slight taste of home that keeps blowing about
And dear, I see you everywhere
I look out the car window
Just like I used to look out the one that sits in my room
My eyes are glued to the atmosphere
And I'm searching the sky for you

My thoughts take up too much space
So I hurl them onto this worn out blog
And they twist into barely-formed rhymes
I'm not like them, but I can try
Would that be enough for her?
Because it seems I've strained for something beyond the stars
I have to keep writing about how I don't need everyone's respect
Because otherwise they see the scars
You know, they never understand completely
And maybe only one person's ever really known me
The person I'm not gonna see for a few more weeks
No, they don't understand.
But she never tells me
About anything in her life
So my heart listens through doors
And reads between the lines
Every freaking time.
And she'll say that it's fine
She's good, she can lie
But she forgot I
Know how to read minds

That doesn't matter either, I'll write it till it's true
There are still so many things I'm learning how to do
Like how to trick myself into not thinking about you
It never works, but I get through 
I hold onto your voice when I hear it at night
Am I losing you, or losing the fight?
Everything goes like the fading of light 
You're more like a dream now, but it's still mine
And Mom says, "Missing makes the heart grow fonder,"
As if that was something I needed to ponder
And I tell myself that I'll keep getting stronger
But these days just tell me that they're stretching longer

But that's alright.
See, the things that used to matter to me
Don't matter to me at all
And the things I never thought about
Are the things for which I fall
I'm not excited to grow up
And they look at me like they're so done
But the one thing I can say is
Wendy Darling changes

No comments:

Post a Comment