Thursday, July 2, 2015

Footsteps

Darkness enveloped my back and sides, but ahead of me came a light from the stage.  Lots of light, actually.  I could see the rest of the students as I studied the auditorium.  Most of them were in front of me, a lot of my friends were behind me, and one friend was by my side.  The other seat?  Empty.  Maybe I had been saving it for someone who never showed up.  There's no way to know.
The brightness of the stage continued to dim, and a gentle humming began.  A humming I knew.  Years ago, I felt, it had flowed into my veins, thus making its way into my heart.  It stayed, though.  Never left.
All of these thoughts happened in a second or two; funny how one's subconscious can navigate memories, emotions, senses, and observations so quickly.
Suddenly, Kate stood up, slightly crouched over as to not disturb the teenagers behind us.  My gaze immediately went to her as she spoke.
"Come on!" she said, just above a whisper.
The expression on her face was brighter then that stage could ever be, and she hurried out of our row of chairs.  Abruptly, I abandoned my plastic seat and followed, only half wondering what she was doing.  The rest of me swelled with adrenaline and joy as I tailed Kate down the side of the spacious room.  Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed other people starting to stand up from their chairs.  We ran.
In a moment's time, we were right in front of the stage, and the worship team had made their entrance.  I found us all the way to the left, but all the way to the front.  Everyone else gathered behind and next to us, and slowly, a song began.

"I was lost,
"With a broken heart."

1 comment: