Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Wednesday.

Don't go
Would you stay right here with me?
'Cause even when you're gone
You're still almost all I see
Every minute is a second
And I don't want you to leave

Got home last night,
Saw my sister, almost cried
Doctor came and helped us fight
My older brother by her side

Stayed up a bit too late
Washing the dishes that she couldn't take
I never regretted, and it was okay
She'd do that for me any time, any day

She lies on the couch, right in the front room
Thinking of all of the things she can't do
I'm scrubbing the dishes and feeling it too
She's thinking of him, I'm thinking of you

And I'm also thinking of Hope and of Bay
And Hannah, Megan, Jilly, Jordan, and Grace
And everyone else whom I haven't yet named
My mind travels onward, you're there all the same

My bed waits for me, and I say my prayer
Disregarding all the burdens I left there
And I wonder why Rebekah didn't hear what I shared
What's the purpose she left early, least I know that she cares

Next morning starts with another word to You
And one that I read, that I got from the goon
So I get out of bed far too late before noon
'Cause last night was rough, but amazing, in truth

Say goodbye to Dad and Isaac, who leave for a trip
Mom goes to the store, Rebekah's still sick
And for once I eat something for breakfast and sit
Alone at a table with things I no longer hid

Gloom in the morning, sky turning gray
That's right about when I hear from Bay
"Momma's at the doctor, but we'll be okay"
And I tell her 'bout Rebekah, and both of us pray

I wash myself down, throw on a long shirt
Then wash the shoes that are covered in dirt
Ethan does school, and Mom goes to work
And I climb to my room and hope nothing gets worse

Rebekah's doing better, and she's had her fill
Of all of the medicine, the dissolving pills
She fell asleep for quite a while, then woke up ten till
And wow, her face is beautiful, even when she's ill

I haven't cried yet, I'm doing quite well
Since finally last night I abandoned my shell
But there's so much to do, and it's so hard to tell
How long I can say that I'm doing "quite well"

I don't know how to get back all my stubbornness
And where is my strong will, and my confidence?
I could try to tell Mom, "I don't have the endurance for this."
But I've said that too much, and it doesn't help one bit

Blurriness comes easily, I get lost in school alone
Studying for hours, till you call on the phone
And I laughed today, it felt so right, you know
Talking with my head back and my eyes closed

A face, a hug, and then more school
A couple tears, a couple rules
But I get through, I always do
I know it's God, 'cause I'm no fool

A frappuchino to keep me awake
'Cause tonight'll be long, I do it for my sake
Then promise myself again that I won't break
This is nothing that I cannot take

My day was awesome, excellent, and super amazing
So be happy for me, 'cause I listened to you
Now aren't I obedient, that's exactly what I did
When you told me this morning that you wanted me to

Don't go
Would you stay right here with me?
'Cause even when you're gone
You're still almost all I see
Every minute is a second
And I don't want you to leave

No comments:

Post a Comment