Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Off Guard

If you're the only one who can penetrate the bricks
Then maybe I should let you in
A few times, I think, I did
But I apologize that I'm so well hid

All that metal, all those walls
All the guards to make sure I don't fall
But I guess I did, after all
Yet in a different way, one I never saw

I'm sorry for the alligator-filled moats
With goliath tigerfish that eat all the boats
I'm sorry for the raining, you may need a coat
And all of that lightning that makes all my toast

The bulletproof glass may also be there
'Cause there are still bullet shells left in my hair
From all of the times I accidentally cared
And my no-trespassing sign says, "Come if you dare."

It's called I'm afraid, it's called self-defense
It's called a few guard dogs, and barbed-wire fence
Sometimes it comes in my jokes, the way that I jest
But I'm safe in my safe place, and no one would guess

The fortress is stubborn, and tower is high
The gators don't sleep, they stay up all night
There's no way anyone could get inside
But you caught me off guard, because you can fly

No comments:

Post a Comment