Saturday, February 27, 2016

Sixteen going on twenty

There's this section of my brain
That's dedicated to what makes me scared
It's called the future, and no matter what I think of
This part of my brain is always there
Always intertwined in what I'm saying
Makes me think of what I'm thinking
Has to do with what I'm doing
Prayers in between my blinking
I have many sort-of talents 
And not enough dedication to any of them
Like a Jack-of-all-trades, collecting pastimes
But hardly any good, just playing pretend
Because I could be an author, write really deep books
I could be a teacher, be a light in kids' lives
I could be poet, maybe express myself some
I could bring them to God with the stories I write
I could be a counselor, (like I could handle people's problems) 
I could be a songwriter, make music all day
But I can't see myself doing any of this
So all I am now is just really afraid
I know that there is a plan for my life
But I can't just sit around and do nothing all night
I know that God will take good care of me
But I've gotta be doing something on the other side
Now I'm trying to tune in and out the voices 
That channel through my mind
Filter in the problems
Filter out the lies 
The only thing I had to listen to
When I was younger then
Was the simple voice that told me
"Just don't be like them"
But now the train tracks spin off
In so many directions 
Am I not good enough,
Or just seeking perfection?

No comments:

Post a Comment