Thursday, October 30, 2014

My Favorite Plot Twist

I love the whispers in my mind
That tell me things will be alright
That brighter days are still in sight
Darkness dies and blue are skies
I don't want to be someone 
Who tries to be someone else
And that's one thing I've never struggled with
But I'm still somehow aggravated with myself
I guess that's okay
I wasn't born to be perfect
Still, I must say
There are things I wish I could be
Just honestly 
The night is sometimes just a covering
A black sheet over the earth
And the holes in the sheet are what we call stars
Holes that let daylight show us what we're worth
But sometimes the night is when the air is invisible
And the galaxy is more than daylight could ever be
We count the stars like we'll ever know
And look for Jupiter, maybe someday we'll see
We think, "Maybe my identity is out there,
"Or maybe someone knows it already."
Well, maybe you're right about how much I care
And maybe I am anything but steady
I want to be the strong one
Who lasts in
The long run
But the only song sung
By me is
The wrong one
All I want to be
Is the girl of whom they speak
'Cause when they talk of Emily
She just sounds like a dream
They tell of her goodness 
She's funny and kind
I heard that she's beautiful 
Both out and inside
And that she's a poet
Who's amazing and wise
But I'm afraid all of those 
Are pitiful lies
So I will strive
To someday arrive
At being the Emily 
They all describe
If I were to spend five minutes
Of giving honest answers
It just might help me out
Or it might end in disaster
I will check and check again
But I know how it will end
Still, somehow I don't stop
Even though you never did
Funny, random words sometimes spill out
Like right this second, right here and now
Maybe once in a while I'll write about
How I sit here at this desk when I'm happy or down
A storyteller once said
During all the stories she was giving
That while fairytales seem best
The best story's the one that you're living
And oh, believe me
Mine is FULL of plot twists
I wasn't expecting that,
And I never foresaw this
But while my days can be tough
Little blessing appear on my doorstep
All wrapped up in ribbon and love
Guiding me so I won't misstep
Sometimes my tears fall on answered prayers
Finally knowing I'm not alone
Finally knowing someone's there
That this story won't yet break my bones
This year ripped my heart
Through the middle and tore me apart
January through March
And April and May were hard
But gosh, I learned so much
It got so much better and lightened a bunch
Unbelievable, really, I'd say
Once I decided I needed to pray
This story scares me so
But my Author will not let me go
And this year, I'm sure, I know
Is my favorite of all that I own
Full of ups and downs
Throwing me around
Giving me so much
To be happy about
And sometimes I am Heaven-kissed
Or greeted with a hard fist
But of all the ones on that list
You are my favorite plost twist.


2 comments:

  1. OMG Emily!!! This. poem. I. can't. even. It's amazing. This year has been very similar for me-- lots of crazy plot twists!! And just so you know, you ARE beautiful, funny, kind, amazing, and wise. It's true, even if you don't believe it. Love ya, sister! I think this is my favorite poem yet. :)

    ReplyDelete