Friday, December 26, 2014

Flood

I'm in my corner of the castle
That's what my father said
I'd say it's pretty humble
A dresser, a desk, a bed
But if you look a little closer
You'll see a whole lot more
You'll maybe see the rhymes
All hung up on my door
My friends, you see, are poets
And I read their pretty words
So funny, 'cause they all think
Their voice is never heard
Moving on, just pay attention
And you'll spot a recurring theme
A thread of Peter Pan here
And Neverland, a dream
It's beautiful, it's on my wall
You'd never understand
How I care so much for a place
Where time is never planned
There sits upon my dresser
A fairytale of old
About a friend who entered
Into her life, so cold
He changed some things forever
A silhouette before the moon
As he's shown inside a painting
And he's always gone too soon
Other pictures on my dresser
Also capture that boy
And he smiles, right next to her
And he fills her life with joy
There's a bucket on the floor
With the fragments of a used-to-be
Scraps of who I once was
Of thirteen-year-old Emily
Inside the bucket float a hundred words
The words of centuries
That's what it feels like, anyway
Over time, written to me
You know, I'm never gonna sleep again
The pillow is practically useless
I think at night of how I'll get away
Maybe someday I'll actually do it
Sometimes the slience cuts at my mind
It tries to drown out my voice
And I don't get dreams as often as I'd like
It's like the quiet won't give me a choice
Maybe I had too much in my head
And there wasn't enough room for a dream
So I read words of others while I'm kept awake
Sometimes I do it just so I won't scream
You have no idea
How many times
I've watched myself run down that sidewalk
Get out of this place
There's not enough space
For my feelings, my wishes, and my thoughts
In the woods my head would explode
Not literally, of course
And my thoughts would fly out everywhere
Splatter onto the trees with such force
And my mind would be free
Oh, free as can be
And that day I'd be able to think
Maybe I'd keep walking somewhere
Your house isn't too far from there
But though I've seen myself run off
I still have yet to go
Stupid worries for a teenage girl's safety
Keep me here, bound with a rope
I wish I could stroll off alone
But that would be dumb for me
My lucky brother gets out on his own
But I'm stuck here and tied to a tree
Maybe that's why I blow up sometimes
Too much interaction with humans
Never getting much time by myself
But one day I just want to do it
I apologize, it's late
And here I am writing again
My mind has left me here
I don't know when this post will end
I'm glad you had your place
Even if it's rather gone now
'Cause we all need to get away
From all and everything we're around
I don't want to let go sometimes
Scratch that-- all the time
But two magnets must wait for a while
Well, these days I don't have to lie
I'll open my window
And climb to the ground
With the bricks that jut outwards
From the side of the house
And the thoughts that I let go
Inside of my room
Will flood out from behind me
"He leaves too soon."
I don't know what's going on
Inside this brain of mine
But I know much less of what's going on
In the heart that still beats inside
For your sake, I'll now depart
And maybe get some sleep
With the frequent thought still in that heart
It's too soon when you leave




No comments:

Post a Comment