Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Plane Crash

Mixed feelings
Here they stayed
Like sitting in
A crashing plane
The attendant arrives
And asks if I'm fine
A "yes" is released
But I'm screaming inside
You see, they didn't know we were crashing
Wouldn't see the windows blasting
Blind to all my grasping
But I was so tired of asking
Well, part of me in denial
Part of me so sure
Most of me upset
None of me assured
I was positive
And not at all
I saw the plane
About to fall
But there I stayed
Right through it all
So call it brave
Or not at all
But they all left
They were afraid
Mixed feelings, I said
Mixed feelings, I say
I kept my distance
But never ran
Never told anyone
They'd never understand
I was mad at myself
But I knew inside
I'd go down with this plane
Even if I died
I almost wanna
Step onto the stage
And yell at those who would've blamed
"You ran, and I stayed."
So strapped onto that seat
Windows shattered around me
Stubborn as anything,
I watched the others flee
Yeah, there was never a someone else
Exactly why I was mad at myself
Theirs changed every couple of months
But I stayed right in that seat belt
That's why.
A plane, a plane
It's almost like a train
So maybe I'd wait
See how much I could take
The shards of glass cut through my cheek
I was sure they'd find my heart
Which jumped to my throat as we went down
To the end, this was the start
Sorry I had to rant about this
But a plane crash is kind of a big deal
And that seemed like the only analogy
Of describing was that was like to feel
Maybe if I strapped you to the seat
And broke all the controls
Maybe you'd feel how I felt
Know what it was like to be alone
Yeah, in a plane all alone
Not an ounce of hope
You don't believe anything
Except words of your own
Which just happened to tell you
You're crashing now
Do you hear that alarm there?
That's the only sound
Other passengers found
A way to get out
They even offered you a parachute
But you turned it down
And that's how it felt
Inside that seat belt
Inside of those shoes
Refusing to melt
Yeah, if you were there you'd see
How it feels and what it means.
Then I opened up my eyes--
The airplane crashed, but I survived
Couldn't believe I was still alive
"There is no way," but there was this time
And things happened, strange things
Hope came and changed things
No words for it, pessimist me
Still I could hardly believe
So this is how it feels to be free
And this is how it feels to finally breathe
And this is how it feels to not be alone
Yeah, this is how it feels to have a home

No comments:

Post a Comment