Monday, December 1, 2014

The Forest (of Frivolous Thoughts)

This is a place I want to be
Late at night while studying
But my bed simply holds me
I'm lying here but cannot sleep
Keep coughing myself awake
Choking on each breath I take
Feel my lungs begin to shake
How long till I breathe the same?
You may have noticed
Or caught it by now
When I'm distressed
The rhymes pour out
Other times I close my eyes
But the gears in my head still spin and fly
No rest for the ponderers of future and life
No rest for the thinkers of truth and of lies
And she was to be sent into a forest
Where trees and leaves numbered her thoughts
Then in autumn when they fell and died
New ones replaced those that were lost
She would wander this place at night
Looking up through the leaves to find starlight
But there was nothing of the sort so bright
And so she stayed captive in her mind
Whenever she turns, you know, she finds you there
Then she shakes her head clear
And tries to take a breath of air
But you somehow always remain
Just never quite real enough
And there's so much she thinks to say
But it always seems too much
Because you're always in those woods
And a million miles away
I'd do anything that I could
If I could just get you to stay
But there's still no place that's farther than
Yours when I lie awake
I would swear my shoelaces are tied
To the trees inside these woods
Because when I close my eyes
I'm not sleeping like I should

2 comments: