Wednesday, June 10, 2015

One

We got to the church
I found my friend
I'll hold her hand
Until the end
Name tag on
Got in the bus
After a prayer
For all of us
She didn't want the window seat
So I got to see you outside
I'm not sure if earlier
I ever said hi
I recall it clearly
As I was there then
And here I am, trying to
Get back to you again
Hannah and I got bunks
Next to each other
There was a boy in my team
That reminded me of my brothers
Grace had a different cabin
Lizzie guided us around
Like we were her little chickies
First time out of town
Stood in line for pizza
It was pretty hot there
Saw a kid in a Flash shirt
And a girl with cool hair
In my team time
They asked about me
I told them one thing
Owl City.
One other kid
Gave me a "Yes!"
She only knew Fireflies
I could only guess
I introduced myself
I said "Emily"
But that was a name
They had already
Yeah, it was taken
By Fireflies girl
And it was hers
'Cause she said it first
A couple sixth-grade show off's
A girl who liked to surf
And Maisen, my friend now
But not then, she had words
(And I didn't)
Christian, the flashlight boy
Who made me think of my brothers
The only one that paid me attention
And he prayed for his mother
The boy, Eliouth,
Soccer was his thing
All the girls thought him cute
All the girls except me
My leader was nice
The high-schooler was cool
But I guess I was someone
That they never knew
Nick asked if I was lesbian
We hung out at Snack Shack
You dumped water on me
I never got you back
You claimed to have tried
To get Jacob too
I never decided
Whether or not that was true
We looked at our wrists
And "forgot how to breathe"
((But when you were around
That's what happened to me))
In Hannah's team she muttered
About stuffing a kid in the closet
And you glared at me
When I called Loki awesome
You bought a slide whistle
And learned "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"
Rebekah tripped over a rock
And skidded pretty far
You said I was like the nicest person you knew
When we were in the gift shop
And Jordan and Payton were being mean to you
They almost accidentally got shot
(on accident)
((by no one in particular))
You called everyone "Bobby"
And Hannah broke her hair
Now I'm living in a memory
And now you're over there

2 comments: