Sunday, June 7, 2015

Goodbye

Through words and tears, the burdens to drop
Were thrown out of their heads
The words entered the nails, 
And then into the wood all the things that were said

Every girl took her time, weaving a story
Carefully hammering it down
Slowly making sure it went through
The cross and not the ground

And I said "here I go," then spun a web
Invisible strings all connect to a tale
Only one part they heard, but I gathered the words
And tied them around a nail

With something to leave behind, and a hammer in my hand
That painful nail went right into the wood
I hit it harder than any of them,
And the very top bent as far as it could

A stabbing memory now in the cross
A fire to make us all learn
A girl that stood and never took her eyes off
A goodbye, and I watched it burn

No comments:

Post a Comment